Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Born again...

Imagine my surprise when Blogspot recognized me. Fancy just-use-your-gmail-login seems to creep up on me, time and time again.

Anyhow, I created this account back in 06 solely for the purpose of testing something long forgotten in a company long bancrupt. And seing how "just reboot" still takes up most of my work hours, why not keep the label.

First order of business, is tracking my latest addiction: sniffing old cigar-fumed leather and toxic chemicals. Oh yes, the joys of film fotography.

I'm no stranger to the notion - but it's been give and take 7 years since I last waited anxiously for the development of a few ( ok 12 ) rolls of film, taken at a FIA GT race in Oschersleben. And before that, you can add on another 11 for the previous encounter. I've also done the whole black and white deal in school, processing my own pictures, using a - by any standard - ancient Diana camera, given to me by the owner of the local Photography shop. It was the norm back then, but digital came and I haven't looked back one second.

Until know. Maybe its the fact that I'm bording on actually being a grown up, and just embracing the natural slow down of the brain, or maybe I'm just desperately seeking a new hobby besides mowing the lawn.

I'm a Nikon guy btw - I don't hate the Canon stuff, I've just chosen a path, and unless you're a pro - it doesn't make much sense to stop mid stream. And it was a piece of Nikkor gear, that first introduced me to the joys of ye olde times. A wonderfully mint Nikkor 50mm 1.4 with AI-S mount. Mint - besides the fact that is has a sticking aperture, and is more of less useless in the real world. I bought it for next to nothing, but the look, feel and plain mmmmmmmm-ness of the little thing, made me forget about all this plasticy rubbish that we've all grown acustomed to.

Fast forward a year or so, and I've bought a couple of other oldtimers as well, including one of the holy grails : a  Nikkor 105mm F2.5 AI-S. Oh my goodness, this thing belongs in a display stand in the living room - but fearing a slight difference in oppinion with the lady-friend, that wasn't going to happen.

And we're alsmost there, here and now. I've been trawling the net for digital camera gear on a dayly basis, and a few weeks back - something popped up, and I couldn't get my eyes of it: A Konica FT-1, in near mint condition with some lovely glass. 35mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 Hexagon. Just roll that of your tongue - He-xa-gon, sounds like an end of level monster. None of this moderne XR NANO VR DX SUPERSONIC nonsense. The 35 also has this Leica-like square hood, that I just couldn't live without.

So starts my film SLR adventure, and I'll live happy ever after. I'm just gonna press the send button...

No comments: